Kilmahon House is ideally situated to act as a base for touring East Cork’s many attractions and activities.
Local activities include Golfing, Fishing, Horse Riding and Guided Walking. Photograpy and Art Classes can be arranged through the house. Where possible we will be happy to make the necessary arrangements for local activities on behalf of our guests.
Local Attractions include Darina Allen’s internationally renowned Ballymaloe Cookery School. Fine dining is available in the Yeats Room at Ballymaloe House and also in numerous other local restaurants. The Grain Store at Ballymaloe hosts regular concerts and musical evenings. The Market town of Midleton is home to the Jameson Midleton Distillery with guided tours daily of the Heritage Centre. Cobh Cathedral and Heritage Centre along with Fota House, Arboretum and Wildlife Park are also close by.
- Shanagarry Beach
A 10 minute walk from Kilmahon House to this gorgeous calm sandy beach. Perfect for beach walks, swimming, and picnics.
- Ballymaloe Cookery School (www.cookingisfun.ie)
The internationally renowned cookery school run by Darina Allen is located within Shanagarry Village.
- Ballymaloe House (www.ballymaloe.ie)
Renowned Country House Hotel run by the Allen family including the famous Yeats Room Restaurant, Café, and Kitchen/Craft Shop.
- Ballycotton lighthouse tours (https://ballycottonseaadventures.com/)
Take a lovely boat ride for a tour up a path of history to Ballycotton Lighthouse and take in a 360 degree view over all of East Cork.
- Ballycotton Cliff Walk (https://corkwalksandhikes.com/en/ballycotton-cliff-walk/)
Hike 7km of natural trail path along the beautiful Ballycotton coastline with fabulous views and occasional whale sightings.
- Midleton: (www.midletonnews.com/)
Market town and home to the Jameson Midleton Distillery with guided tours daily.
- Cobh: (www.corktourist.com/towns/cobh/)
Cathedral, Heritage Centre and last stopping point of the Titanic.
- Fota House: (www.fotahouse.com)
Fota House, Arboretum and Wildlife Park.
Numerous courses nearby including the championship course at Fota Island Resort, and at the Castlemartyr Resort and Spa.
- Fishing, horse riding and guided walks all available locally.
We will be happy to make any necessary arrangements for these activities on behalf of our guests.
- Art classes are available at the Kilkenny Design Centre in Shanagarry village. https://www.kilkennyshop.com/ and www.theartofphildavis.blogspot.com